 Robotics / 423
422  |  424
Subject:
RCX Programming Questions and Sensor Ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 20:44:44 GMT

Well, I figure I've been lurking long enough and time to share some
questions and thoughts.

Question 1:
On page 4 of the Technical Reference in the Minstorms SDK there is a
reference to a semaphore mechanism.  It says:  It is possible to implement a
semaphore mechanism (using one global variable and exploiting the
instruction set) to provide exclusive access to shared resources.  Could
someone explain this?  What it does, how to implement it and
advantages/disadvantages.(Especially helpful if from a VB position)  I've
only come across the following and don't understand it totally: A semaphore
is a software mechanism that is used to control and coordinate multiple
program executions either on the same computer or on different computers on
a network.

Question 2:

Is anyone attempting to use SMA(shape memory alloys) or 'muscle wire' in any
of their projects?  I've seen SMA pistons and thought those could come in
really handy if it can be successfully connected to an RCX.  Electric
pistons that don't require any sort of air pressure.

---------                               -----------

I've seen and thought up some ideas and was wondering about possibilities of
implementing them with the RCX:

A voice recognition module.  The module has, say, 8 memory banks where there
can be 3 or 4 seconds of 8-bit audio.  Then, the on board voice recognition
processors analyze the sound, match it to the proper bank and then send a
number value to the RCX input port that it is attached to.  I know this
sounds really far fetched and probably really expensive, but I thought it
would be cool to verbally tell my RCX to turn right etc...

A sensor that contains 4-5 CCD cells.  It would have enough visual power to
determine movement direction from it's current orientation (left, right, up,
down).  I believe this could be done really inexpensively.  I can't take
credit for this idea, I believe I saw it on a post to the Minstorms forum.

A gyroscope sensor that can determine angles/movement in 3d space.  Number
value returned to RCX determines what direction.  Again, can't take credit
for this one.  Not sure where I saw it.

Why not a sensor that relates to a remote beacon.  The remote beacon is a
battery operated, stand alone unit that emits a IR pulse/signal every x
amount of time.  The sensor connects to the RCX has four detectors on it all
facing in opposite directions.  The sensor receives the pulse and the two
detectors that receive the strongest signal (from the direction the beacon
is) derive some number that is sent to the RCX.  Multiple beacons would have
different 'carrier' signals so that the program can determine from what
beacon the signal came.  I think the reason I thought this one up is for a
very specific device I was building and am not sure how useful this would be
in a general sense.  However, I can't imagine this being a
complicated/expensive device to build.

Okay, I'm sure a lot of my thoughts are a lot far fetched and not realistic,
but maybe they will provide some ideas for related items to other people.
Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Brian