 Robotics / 4182
Re: Mindstorms: Extreme Creatures vs. RoboSports
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 16:03:30 GMT

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Lewis, James C. wrote:
OK, I've decided to get my son Mindstorms. I also am interested in
the add-ons. From my quick study at the store, it seems to me that
RoboSports offers some real additions (such as an extra special
motor) to the kit that will be useful for many things, while the
Extreme Creatures stuff is cute but not that useful. Since they
are the same price, I'm thinking RoboSports. Has anyone tried these?
Any advice?

I think that you're better off getting 8735 (the motor set, which is
about $35 and has a lot of useful gears in addition to the motor) and
one other normal Technic set.  The RoboSports set doesn't offer a lot
of parts for the money (about $50).

eToys.com currently has the Fiber Optic multiset on sale.  I haven't
received mine yet, but it seems to have a decent number of parts for
the price.  They also have a sale where you'll get $10 off of one item
if you mention coupon C6993 (they have a place to put a coupon # in
during checkout) if you are a first time customer.  Combining both
deals gets you the set for about $35, which is under 10 cents per
piece (398 pieces).  Some of the parts packs from lego Shop at Home
are very good too, especially the gears and differentials one.
http://www.lego.com lists them all under the Service section.

alex