 Robotics / 4181
Re: Lego MindStorm for 10 year-old?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 15:56:26 GMT

Dear Marcus,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply! Your message was the most
useful I have received, since it is the ONLY one so far from a YOUNG robot
designer. Now that I have heard from you, I will definitely get my son the
Mindstorms kit. Good luch on the science fair. Perhaps once my son gets
going, you two can compare notes. I'm sure he would love having a pen-pal
from Beijing. I will be watching for updates to your web page!

Cordially,
Jim Lewis

-----Original Message-----
From: Franz-Michael S. Mellbin <fmm@fischer-mellbin.com>
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Date: Tuesday, March 09, 1999 7:59 AM
Subject: Re: Lego MindStorm for 10 year-old?

I am using Mindstorms and I am 9 years. If you can build well with Lego you • can
also build with Mindstorms at age 10. All you need to build a clever robot • is a
good brainstorm.

You will have to tinker around the pieces and try a lot of times before it • will
work correctly.

You also have to program the RCX before it will work. I have used RCX code • from
Mindstorms, Robolab and Gordons Brick Programmer to program the RCX. I • always
make a flow chart first because then it is easier for me to program my RCX • so
it works. Still, you have to do it many times.

I am the only one in my class with Mindstorms though. And I only just got • it
because I live in Beijing.

My projects so far include a Frog (with motors, a light and a temperature
sensor), a Pathfinder 1 Line Tracker, a Weightlifter, a Tornado, a Mountain
Climber, a Ball Kicker and a Paper Plane Launcher.

I am doing a science fair tomorrow March 10, were I use Mindstorms for an
experiment. Here I will prove that W = F x S (Work is Force times • Distance).
For this I built a test bed with a single pulley, a double pulley and a • small
and a large gear. I programmed it using Gordons Brick Programmer. Some of • the
results will be posted here. You can see it later on my Home Page at:
http://www.fischer-mellbin.com/Marcus/marcus.html

Before you build any robots you should go through the Mindstorms training
missions.

My brother Victor is 4 years and uses Mindstorms with Robolab. He needs • help to
build.

Good luck

Marcus Fischer Mellbin

---