 Robotics / 3897
    Book with CD: conclusions —Jonathan Knudsen
   Thanks to everyone who responded. I got basically three responses: 1. CDs are unnecessary fluff. They make the book stiff and don't add value. 2. CDs are absolutely necessary. Some people don't have easy Internet access, and out-of-date software is (...) (26 years ago, 19-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Book with CD: conclusions —James FitzGibbon
     (...) I'm not sure if ORA is open to this, but what about putting a coupon in the back of the book to get a CD. The user just pays S&H. This reduces the number of discs you have to duplicate, but needs the infrastructure to support it. It seems (...) (26 years ago, 19-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Book with CD: conclusions —Mark Tarrabain
      (...) That's a good idea. A heckuva lot cheaper, I'm certain, than printing versions with and without the CD. For the cost difference between a book with CD and a book without, relative to the cost of the book itself, I would imagine that if both (...) (26 years ago, 19-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Book with CD: conclusions —Steve Bliss
     (...) Thanks, James. To quote a reply from Mark to me: (...) Steve (26 years ago, 19-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Book with CD: conclusions —Shawn Steele
   I think I might be getting into this thread kind of late, but: 1.) CDs aren't that expensive to burn. I'm not sure what kind of markup they'll get through ORA's distributions system, but they shouldn't add that much to the cost of the book. 2.) If (...) (26 years ago, 19-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Book with CD: conclusions —Benoit Cerrina
   I'd like to strongly second that! Specially if you consider readers from over countries than the us. At least in France, local communications are fairly expensive and downloads (especially big downloads) are very expensive! I believe that a CD (...) (26 years ago, 20-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Book with CD: conclusions —Russell Nelson
   Benoit writes: > I'd like to strongly second that! Specially if you consider readers from > over countries than the us. Consider that the RIS is only selling in the US and UK. However you got your RIS, you can get a CD of the online information the (...) (26 years ago, 21-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)