 Robotics / 3899
Re: Book with CD: conclusions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 17:23:28 GMT

James FitzGibbon wrote:

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Jonathan Knudsen wrote:

Given the #1 and #2 answers, I think the correct
course is to offer the book with or without the CD.
That's what I'll try to do--we'll see what happens.

I'm not sure if ORA is open to this, but what about putting a coupon in
the back of the book to get a CD.  The user just pays S&H.  This reduces
the number of discs you have to duplicate, but needs the infrastructure to
support it.  It seems simple enough (to me) for ORA to make a product in
their database for the CD-ROM with a unit cost of $0.00.

That's a good idea.  A heckuva lot cheaper, I'm certain, than printing versions
with and without the CD.  For the cost difference between a book with CD and a
book without, relative to the cost of the book itself, I would imagine that if
both are available then there would be a tendency for only one of them to sell,
while the other basically just collects dust on the store bookshelves.  Which one
that would be though, I couldn't predict.

Mark