 Robotics / 3891
Re: proximity detection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 11:39:07 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (John Cooper) writes:
Don't be bashful. Post it to the list! I'm sure I'm not the only one
collecting variations on this theme.

Well, I'm wary of clogging up the list with reams of stuff which is useful
only to a minority. If it were an NQC list then I'd do it.

You could post it to the new NQC list/group, which is now up & running.
For info on subscribing:

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi/display.cgi?lugnet.announce:184

One day I'll get round to a LEGO
section on my web site, but I'm up to my ears in paying work at the moment.

What I have is based on http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.robotics:3488
and my followup message, which I don't have a reference for

Here it is:

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.robotics:3574

[remainder of this message is meta-discussion...]

because the server doesn't copy messages back to me (I wonder if I can change
that?).

The crynwr.com server doesn't?  Or the lugnet.com server doesn't?  AFAIK, both
send copies of messages out to everyone on the distribution list (including the
original sender), but they don't echo copies back to each other (or else there
would be an infinite mail loop).

Anyway, I figured out why 5 of your messages didn't make it into newsgroup
immediately immediately upon being received.  (Only messages from you were
causing a problem, BTW -- not any messages from other people...makes ya feel
extra special, huh? :)

I have a regex in the .procmailrc (incoming mail filter configuration file)
which discards failed delivery attempt notification messages, auto-response
vacation messages, bounce messages, etc.:

   ^FROM_MAILER

According to the procmailrc manpages, ^FROM_MAILER is an abbreviation for a
larger regex:

   If the regular expression contains `^FROM_MAILER' it will
   be substituted by `(^(((Resent-)?(From|Sender)|X-Envelope-
   From):|>?From )([^>]*[^(.%@a-z0-9])?(Post(ma(st(er)?|n)
   |office)|(send)?Mail(er)?|daemon|mmdf|n?uucp|r(esponse|oot)
   |(bbs\.)?smtp|serv(ices?|er)|A(dmin(istrator)?
   |MMGR))(([^).!:a-z0-9][-_a-z0-9]*)?[%@>\t
   ][^<)]*(\(.*\).*)?)?$([^>]|$))' (a stripped down version
   of `^FROM_DAEMON'), which should catch mails coming from
   most mailer-daemons.

Now that's one behemoth regex.  It looks valid, but it has a small bugaboo:
In addition to catching mails from most mailer-daemons, I believe it's also
matching the following header in your messages:

Maybe it's a bugaboo in the regex for thinking that 'postmaster' is always a
server-generated poo-poo message, or maybe 'postmaster' technically shouldn't
be appearing in X-Envelope-From on your messages...I'm not an SMTP guru so
I'm not sure.  I'll have to figure out a workaround regardless.

In the meantime, I've been sending your messages through the newsgroup gateway
by hand, so they've showed up a bit late, but rest assured that they haven't
been lost.

--Todd