 Robotics / 3852
Re: robotics for dummies?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 14:23:14 GMT

Some starting points:

- Visit Fred Martin's site about Lego Mindstorm information at

http://fredm.www.media.mit.edu/people/fredm/mindstorms/index.html

Don't miss his Art of Lego paper, which gives you a solid knowledge about Lego
Technic basic mechanics and gear arrangements.

- Follow the Lego Mindstorm Webring. There are less then 50 sites. Most of
them have pictures, suggestions, ideas you'll find very useful.

- Be empiric: try and try and try. Start with very simple tasks, don't take
anything for granted, begin larger projects only when you feel at ease with
the basics.

- If you have other technic sets, study their instructions. You don't have to
build them if you don't want (I usually don't). Many of TLG solutions are good
to learn and remember, but, at the same time, many other very sophisticated
aesthetic-driven arrangements are absolutely not necessary to robotics (my
very personal opinion).

Have a nice time building your creatures

Mario Ferrari
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Galaxy/9449/
e-mail: mario.ferrari@edis.it

Steven Vore writes:
ok, so i got my Mindstorm for Christmas, along with a couple of other
Technic sets. somehow, though, that dosen't make me a robotics engineer.[1]
anyone seen a good book/set of web sites that can lead this idiot, step by
step, through his first half-dozen 'bots?

1 - well, duh!
--
Steven | svore at mindspring .com | kf4fbk | TC++MS++#15LS+M+HalYB64m