 Robotics / 3606
Re: Star Wars Mindstorms = True
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 00:58:44 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, kekoa@pixel.Stanford.EDU (Kekoa Proudfoot) writes:
Laurentino Martins <lmartins@marktest.pt> wrote:
LegOS, NQC (and all the others): Are you ready for starting all over
again in a new hardware/firmware platform? :-)

This was always a known risk.  If LEGO forces us to reverse engineer
another product, I think instead the "classic RCX" will become a hot item.
Hopefully LEGO will get a clue and release low-level interface
documentation next time around.  Firmware source, under something like the
MPL, would be even better.  LEGO is sitting on an untapped gold mine, I
hope they see that.

(agreeing) I'd tend to think that any new environment would simply mean one
more new environment -- and not the death of the old environment.  AFAIK,
for example, there are still groups of people today who write Apple ][
software and HP-11C programs and replacement ROMs for classic 80's stand-up
arcade video games.  Once a sufficiently cool product is released and
reaches a critical mass of users, it takes on a life of its own.  Assuming
the RCX bricks don't wear out, I'd fully expect 20-30 years from now that
collectors and nostalgic builders will still want a way to program their
RCX's.  I have an 18-year-old Ms. Pac-Man arcade game in my cube and it
still works great!

It's very nice that code is downloaded to the RCX via IR (and not some doofy
cable with proprietary pinouts).

--Todd