 Robotics / 3485
Re: gearing problem, continued
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 18:31:53 GMT

=>From: "John A. Tamplin" <jat@Traveller.COM>
=>...
=>Yes Ncm is a unit of torque, Newton-centimeters.  However, I have no idea
=>quantitatively how much torque that is since I haven't ever measured the
=>output of the Lego motors.  Have you ever had it slip when the drivetrain
=>wasn't stalled?

Yes.  I used it in a platform a couple of days ago, driving one of the
diff bodies of an adder/subtractor.  When I tried to run it on
carpeting, the clutch would slip almost constantly, and it took a
while for the robot to get moving.  On a smooth surface, it took less
time to get moving, but the clutch still appeared to be slipping all
the time.  (I guess if I gave it a long enough run-up, it'd eventually
stop slipping, but my kitchen isn't that big :-)

Anyway, when I replaced the clutch with a plain 24T gear, the motor
had no trouble driving the platform, but I'd guess the start-up
current was considerably higher.

d.