 Robotics / 3479
Re: gearing problem, continued
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 10:38:19 GMT

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, dave madden wrote:

I recently bought an 8735 Power Pack Motor Set which contained a
white, 24T gear with the markings "2.5 . 5.0 Ncm"; I think this is the
clutch gear you mention.  It does not ratchet as you describe,
however.  It operates like an ordinary gear until the load exceeds a
certain amount (my physics is weak, but perhaps "X Ncm" somehow
describes a maximum torque) at which time the axle can turn
independently of the gear teeth.  That is, when the load is too great,
the clutch slips and the motor doesn't stall, but the drive train
doesn't move.

Yes Ncm is a unit of torque, Newton-centimeters.  However, I have no idea
quantitatively how much torque that is since I haven't ever measured the
output of the Lego motors.  Have you ever had it slip when the drivetrain
wasn't stalled?

John A. Tamplin Traveller Information Services
jat@Traveller.COM 2104 West Ferry Way
256/705-7007 - FAX 256/705-7100 Huntsville, AL 35801