 Robotics / 344
Re: Mindstorms (more than just robotics?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 1998 18:57:56 GMT

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Kekoa Proudfoot wrote:

I think the programming language is fine for those that don't know what
they're missing.
It is also a good logical step into something more complicated.

I can see this too.  Maybe at some point you realize that something like a
variable would help you solve a particular problem, then when you
eventually get variables, it all makes sense how to use them, because those
were just what you were looking for in the first place.

This is all speculation.  I have very little memory about what it was like
when I first learned to program, aside from the fact that it involved
for-loops, low-res graphics, an Apple II+, and cool pictures that I
couldn't get enough of.  That was a long time ago.

I remember the difficulty I had in understanding variables.. 7th grade,
about 1978/79, using a TRS-80 (graphics? cool pictures? huh?). The mathlab
teacher wanted me to write a program to loop and calculate 1+2+3+4+5+6+...
and I happily created ever-increasing numbers of variables, not realizing
I should recycle between two variables. Then the lightbulb came on (after
someone yanked my chain a few times) and now I'm an engineer/embedded
programmer. |-}

tom