 Robotics / 319
Re: Mindstorms (more than just robotics?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 04:30:44 GMT

Kekoa Proudfoot wrote:

I think the programming language is fine for those that don't know what
they're missing.

Interesting.  I wonder how what you know about programming languages
affects how you think about them.  For example, if you don't know about
variables, maybe you develop an intuition for what sorts of methods help
you work around them, or maybe you develop an intuition and tend to think
of projects that are solvable without them.

Hmmm.... this reminds me of when I first learned programming in Scheme.  The
recursive nature of the language really got a hold of me and made me think of
solving programming problems in ways I never thought of before. The problems
would have still been solvable using languages like C, but using Scheme for a
while really made some sort of actual shift in my thought processes.

I imagine the same would be true using the Mindstorms environment without ever
knowing any conventional programming languages (I'll have to ask my new
initiate for her opinion - I'll have to wait 'til she wakes up in the morning.
:-).  You would have to approach solving the problems using the tools available
and might not notice what's considered "missing" by more seasoned
programmers.   Once you were shown what was missing, it would probably be some
sort of "aha!" revelation.

Digging back in my own memories of learning programming, it seemed to often be
the case that after working on some sort of project, the professor would use it
as a spring-board to introduce a new concept or technique that had we known
before-hand, the project would have been a lot easier.  But having to work
around the problem first seemed to give a better understanding of the final
"better" solution. (The use of FSAs is one particular example that comes to
mind.)

Well, enough rambling for me.  I've got a FAQ to work on.  :-)

-brian