 Robotics / 3282
Re: Variations on the "ADDER SUBTRACTOR" ("differtrans" ?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 02:58:59 GMT

I like the name "differtrans", personally. :)  But that's just my opinion.

With so many variations on a theme coming about, I have to wonder if anyone's
come up with the "best" implementation -- minimal volume and using no unusual
pieces (such as the 1x1 technic brick with a hole).  I challenged myself to see
what I could do with it today.  I got one that uses just the regular gears and
beams, and is 2 LEGO units high, 6 units across, and the differentials are
side-by-side, their centers being only 4 studs apart. (Is that good?)

You know, until I tried building it for myself, I didn't really understand how
it worked.  Now that I've actually assembled one, I have to say I think it's a
real cool idea.  Who originally came up with this device?  (I mean in the real
world, not necessarily just doing it with LEGO).

Mark