 Robotics / 3248
Re: Thoughts on Turning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 19:51:43 GMT

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to this list and take comfort in knowing I am not
alone as the mechanically impaired.  I have been involve in robotics
for quite a few years, have a little electronic knowledge, and program
for a living.  Despite a ripe old age of 48, the MindStorm RIS has
brought me into the Lego world.  My wife just shakes her head.  The
poor woman is so confused.  Well I guess beats having an affair and
getting a sports car.  Oh wait, I already have a sports car, I'll
have to rethink that affair thing :)

Back to Lego,  like I said my mechanical skills are less than to be
desired.  I find some of the designs quite intriguing. I have some
questions regarding various turning designs.

1) I'm not sure I understand the advantages of the fifth wheel
design being discussed. I mean, why four wheels for forward
motion.  It seems a two center wheel with front and back coasters
would accomplish the same thing on a smooth surface and is less
complicated for turning.

2) The adder/subtractor differential.  In a human controlled tracked
based system, operation is controlled by switching the individual
motors on and off. Motor speed is consistent to both through a petal.
Actually this is a single motor with gearing for each track.  In a
a two motor system the adder/subtractor makes perfect sense.

This method does not allow for smooth turning such as an arch.  If
the motors are controlled by speed,  equal = straight, on motor
greater than other = arch turn,  one fwd one rev = turn in place
I don't see the need for the differential as you are controlling the
tracks.  I don't think it will hurt but don't see the benefit.  Please
someone enlighten me.  I just know this has to be a good thing.

Thanks,
Reno