 Robotics / 3286
Re: can nqc control index of values?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:27:34 GMT

You can't explicitly assign variables to slots, but the allocation is
simple enough - they get allocated in the same order they are declared,
starting with 0.  I can't promise that the allocation order will never
change, but on the other hand I can't imaging why I'd change it.

Dave

In article <36AF63CD.57547939@objectrad.com>, GK Khalsa
<khalsa@objectrad.com> wrote:

I have been using the Smalltalk Bot-kit for programming, and I think it's
great.  But as the code grew, I ran into a Spirit exception, that
locks up the port.  Anyway, I'll move the code to nqc, but I was
taking advantage of a feature I don't see in nqc.

Does nqc gove you control over the index of the 32 values?   In
the smalltalk bot-kit, when you define a value, you can assign it
a slot.  I use this trick to communicate between separate programs,
run at separate times.

For instance, in tic-tac-toe, program 2 is
the game-start program, which initializes the globals.  Program
3 is the robot's turn program, run each time it is the robot's
turn.  Values representing the state of the game are represented
in both programs, using the same slots.

In some ways, this is like an extra sensor.  Without it
I would an input to indicate when it is the robot's turn to a
single, game-playing program.

Or, an I missing someting?

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com