 Robotics / 3220
Re: AC Adapter Specs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 00:26:16 GMT

I believe that you should, indeed, be wary of oversizing an AC adapter.
The simple "wall cube" is unregulated and typically employs a "just-big-
enough" transformer.  Voltage under light loading rises considerably
above nominal, and poses a threat of damage.

To illustrate, I've just taken DC measurements on an aging Radio Shack
500mA "universal" AC adapter.  At its 9V setting, no-load voltage is
13.6Vdc, and V = 11.9V @ 80mA.  At its 12V (max) setting, no-load
voltage is 18.3V, and V = 15.9V @ 110mA.  A "fixed-voltage" adapter
may exhibit somewhat-better fidelity, but caution remains in order.

My RCX (with a 7.5~9.0Vdc supply and 2 motors running) draws less
than 100mA with medium mechanical loading on both motors.  I've not
seen more than 200mA total drain with both motors nearly stalled (each
at its max power setting of 8, i.e; 100% "on" time).

I'd choose a 9V 200~300mA adapter and (for peace of mind) measure
its output with the RCX powered on, but nothing running (30~40mA
load), hoping to see less than 12V (unless we can obtain some insight
into LEGO's design margins).

Al Thiele
Dinosauric EE

Jasper Janssen wrote: