 Robotics / 3037
Re: Direction of rotation sensor.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 03:53:52 GMT

Nicolas Oriol writes:
Hi,
with no particular reason (YET) I'm trying to build a sensor that is
able to find out the direction of rotation of a given shaft without
adding significant load to it.
It must use ONLY ONE touch sensor and ONLY RIS basic set parts.

Here's a thought:

  A rubber band around the axle to check and a pulley with a peg in it.
  In one direction, the pulley/peg run into the touch sensor and the band
  then starts slipping on the axle (hopefully geared down enough to
  sufficiently push the touch sensor).  In the other direction, the pulley/peg
  runs into a brick and stops.  You would have to put the two stopping
  positions rather close together for the reaction time to be small.

This one's not exactly what you want.  Has anyone tried this?:

  Draw (via your favorite paint program) a circular pattern which increases
  in greyscale shading as theta increases.  Print this out, paste it to a
  pulley, and aim a light sensor at it.  This _should_ be a convenient
  rotation sensor for those of us stuck with just a light sensor, with
  potentially higher resolution than the standard sensor.  It would require
  a powerful programming language to manage it, though (more powerful than
  stock RCX programming).

--Jim