 Robotics / 3003
3002  |  3004
Subject:
Direction of rotation sensor.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 08:10:22 GMT

Hi,
with no particular reason (YET) I'm trying to build a sensor that is
able to find out the direction of rotation of a given shaft without
adding significant load to it.
It must use ONLY ONE touch sensor and ONLY RIS basic set parts.

My initial approach has been based on Michael Powell Directional
Transmission idea
(For those of you who don't know Michael Powell great idea:
http://www.sonic.net/~rci/transmission.htm)
but I'm not totally satisfied with it because:

1.- It is too noisy
2.- It takes about one fourth of  a turn to identify the direction.
    (Although this could be reduced using gears, I don't want to make
abusive use of them because the rotation detector will significantly
load the shaft.)

Any ideas?

Thanks

    Nicolas Oriol