 Robotics / 2784
    Re: Synchro drive in Lego —Paul Speed
   (...) Well, apparently, neither can I. :) Or I would have done it and posted it. :) I played with some stuff last night that ended in a dead-end. I'm not really sure the approach is fruitless, but I'm realizing as I go on that I'm much less creative (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Synchro drive in Lego —S. Crawshaw
   (...) could you not (I haven't tried this!) use a ratchet on the assembly so that axle rotation one way turns the assembly, and the other way drives the wheel? Stuart -- Did you check the web site first?: (URL) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Synchro drive in Lego —Paul Speed
     (...) Yeah, but I can't think of a good way to ratchet the assembly. -Paul (pspeed@augustschell.com) (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

         Unidirectional gearing - was Synchro drive in Lego —Medical Informatics Consulting
      Here's a really simple (but not fool-proof way): Feed the motor output into a differential gear. The output from the differentials run out through beams and have a medium gear just outside the beam. Then suspend another beam from one end using a (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Synchro drive in Lego —S. Crawshaw
     Assuming I have got the design spec right (ie, a wheel which can turn 360+ degrees and drive independently), I have managed to build one from just the Mindstorms bits. But it needs two motors at the moment, since I haven't got a differential left to (...) (25 years ago, 16-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Unidirectional drive (was Re: Synchro drive in Lego) —Mark Tarrabain
   (...) Yup, that'd work. But it would have the annoying side-effect of making a heck of a lot of noise as the ratchet went from tooth to tooth. Is there any way to minimize that? (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Unidirectional drive (was Re: Synchro drive in Lego) —Paul Speed
   (...) It would only do it when turning the assembly, not driving the robot. So it might be acceptable. I don't think I have the parts to try this unfortunately. -Paul (pspeed@augustschell.com -- Did you check the web site first?: (URL) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)