 Robotics / 27495
Re: question on mindstorm capabilities for competition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2008 15:38:16 GMT

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 11:11 AM, George Nychis <gnychis@cmu.edu> wrote:
It turns out that Tim (the 10y/o) has a next door neighbor with a complete RCX mindstorm kit with tons of extras from being in a lego robotics club in the past.  The neighbor was nice enough to give us all of the legos!  We were super excited.

Lucky you.  :)  Sounds like you have everything you need.

I kind of want to discuss the 1 light sensor vs 2 light sensors now :) I originally wanted to stick with 1 for simplicity, but you're right, i'm not sure how it would be able to tell a break from going off the line.  How would you use the 2 exactly?  One stays further ahead of the robot?

With 2 light sensors, two possible (there are other) strategies are
(1) Try to keep both sensors on the line.  When one goes off, turn
towards the one still on the line.  If both go off at the same time,
you may have reached the end of the line (go straight?)
(2) Try to keep the line between the two sensors.  If either sensor
sees the line, turn away until it doesn't see the line, and continue.
This approach has the slight disadvantage that you never really know
if the line is still between the sensors

With three sensors, there are also several options, like:
(1) Mount three sensors very close, and try to keep the line under the
middle sensor.  As the robot drifts, you can correct different amounts
based on which sensors are on the line
(2) Keep two outside sensors OFF the line, and use the third to
determine if the line is still between them.  If not, do something to
search for the line.

Make sense?

Also, the kit came with an RCX 1.0 and a infrared tower with a serial connection. Is it possible we can swap out the serial infrared with a USB infrared and it still work OK?  I don't know if there was anything specific built in for the RCX 1.0.  If so, I'm going to try and snag one on ebay since most of our machines are USB and have no serial.

You can use either the serial or USB tower with your RCX, without any problem.

Steve