 Robotics / 27494
Re: question on mindstorm capabilities for competition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2008 15:11:02 GMT

Hi all,

Just wanted to follow up on this!

It turns out that Tim (the 10y/o) has a next door neighbor with a
complete RCX mindstorm kit with tons of extras from being in a lego
robotics club in the past.  The neighbor was nice enough to give us all
of the legos!  We were super excited.

We have 3 light sensors, 4 motor sensors, and 4 touch sensors.  So I
think we're set on sensors.

> NXT will do this fine, however you might want to try two light
sensors (1 more
> than in the Retail Kit) Otherwise you might not be able to tell going
off line
> and a break in the line!

I kind of want to discuss the 1 light sensor vs 2 light sensors now :)
I originally wanted to stick with 1 for simplicity, but you're right,
i'm not sure how it would be able to tell a break from going off the
line.  How would you use the 2 exactly?  One stays further ahead of the
robot?

Also, the kit came with an RCX 1.0 and a infrared tower with a serial
connection. Is it possible we can swap out the serial infrared with a
USB infrared and it still work OK?  I don't know if there was anything
specific built in for the RCX 1.0.  If so, I'm going to try and snag one
on ebay since most of our machines are USB and have no serial.

Thanks!
George