 Robotics / 27482
27481  |  27483
Subject:
question on mindstorm capabilities for competition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2008 17:45:19 GMT

Hi all,

Every year on our campus we have a robotics competition called the Mobot
race, where home built robots attempt to steer through a course by
following a painted white line. This white line curves and breaks at
some points depending on the sidewalk condition.

I wanted to enter the race with a 10 year old to give him some
experience with robotics, he would love it to death. He is great with
legos but neither of us have mindstorm experience.

I am under the impression that a light sensor is all we might need for
this.  Using the light sensor we could detect the edge of the white line
and attempt to follow it.  When there are cracks, we could just program
it to keep its wheels straight and keep going.

Is the RCX or NXT best for this?  And what kind of programming might be
involved?  I have a lot of programming experience such that I could do
it all for the kid, but it's best if it provides something he can play
with too.

I found this, which gives me the impression that there is some base
programming kit that might allow us to program something simple like
following the line:
http://www.stanford.edu/class/cs229/proj2006/Townsend-MachineLearningWithALegoMindstormsRobot.pdf

Thanks!
George