 Robotics / 27343
Re: rcx + power functions ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2008 12:25:23 GMT

Daniel,

This is an excellent question, and one I would love to see addressed. A long
while ago, John Barnes, and many, many other  people worked on and posted to
lugnet about how they figured out how to control the Mannas with an RCX.

Rob Doucettenet has a PDF here:

http://www.doucettenet.com/lego/manas.pdf

hi Chris,
thanks for the link

I didn't knew the Manas but it seems to be both a sender and a receiver.

The PowerFunctions probably should be simpler because it is only ONE WAY
communication...

Lejos, which is the operating system i use to program the RCX, has some
functionalities for IR communications:

http://lejos.sourceforge.net/p_technologies/rcx/api/josx/platform/rcx/Serial.html

It is about packet transmitions betwwen two rcx, or between a rcx and the tower.
Don't know if this kind of protocol works also with the PowerFunctions, or if we
would need a lower level protocol, that deals with frequencies.

anyway i don't plan to work on this, at least for now... i never used low-level
communications