 Robotics / 27289
27288  |  27290
Subject:
Need help combining steering with odometry in NXC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2007 03:59:01 GMT

I'm working on an NXT bot to do the Trinity College Fire Fighting Robot Contest
(http://www.trincoll.edu/events/robot/), at least well enough to get through
this Saturday's demo at the local science museum.  At the moment, I'm just
trying to get the robot to follow the wall (which is white on a black floor, so
think of it as line-following), while also having odometry to tell how far I've
gone.

But so far, nothing I've tried seems to work.  I thought I could just do

  OnFwdSync( OUT_AC, 75, 0 );

before my wall-following loop, and then within the loop, based on the sensor
input, call

  SetOutput( OUT_AC, TurnRatio, turnRatio );

(where I'm confident that "turnRatio" is properly calculated).  But this doesn't
seem to make the robot turn at all.  So instead, I've had to call OnFwdSync with
my continually-updated turnRatio inside the loop.  That makes it turn fine, but
it also seems to continually reset the tachometer counts.  This is true even
when I instead use

  OnFwdSyncEx( OUT_AC, 75, turnRatio, RESET_NONE );

which I thought explicitly told it not to reset the tacho counts.

This seems like such a simple task, surely I'm not the first to attempt it.
What's the recommended procedure for steering (adjusting the turn ratio) inside
a sensor loop, without losing your tachometer counts?

Many thanks,
- Joe