 Robotics / 27292
Re: Need help combining steering with odometry in NXC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2007 13:33:19 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Joe Strout wrote:
I'm working on an NXT bot to do the Trinity College Fire Fighting Robot Contest
(http://www.trincoll.edu/events/robot/), at least well enough to get through
this Saturday's demo at the local science museum.  At the moment, I'm just
trying to get the robot to follow the wall (which is white on a black floor, so
think of it as line-following), while also having odometry to tell how far I've
gone.

If you are really following a line then you should use a traditional line
following algorithm rather than try to use motor synchronization and turn
ratios.  There isn't any reason to synchronize the motors since following a line
usually involves lots of slight course corrections that are controlled by light
sensor readings.

The motor tachometer is the RotationCount field.  Both the TachoCount and
BlockTachoCount are for primarily internal use by the firmware's PID control
algorithm and may be reset outside of your control.  The RotationCount field is
only reset when you explicitly tell it to be reset via ResetRotationCount,
ResetAllTachoCounts, or by passing RESET_ALL (0x68) or RESET_ROTATION_COUNT
(0x40) into one of the Ex motor control functions.  To read the RotationCount
field just use MotorRotationCount(port) or GetOutput(port, RotationCount).

John Hansen