 Robotics / 26707
Re: Drive types
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2007 00:37:05 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Tim Byrne wrote:
Using Precedes and Follows you can define as complex (or simple) a net of
thread inter-dependencies as you may need.

Besides Precedes and Follows, are there other ways to start additional threads?
Specifically, I'd like to start additional threads and then continue the
execution of the current thread.  I might be misinterpreting this, but it seems
that Precedes and Follows only starts a new thread after the preceding one has
finished.

Also, is there a way for one thread to stop another?  In NQC there was start and
stop which provided a lot of flexibility.  I'm not sure how to do this in NBC or
NXC.  Is this possible now or perhaps in
the works for the future?

The problem is that the standard firmware doesn't support starting and stopping
of threads AFAIK. But you can start multiple threads by putting

precedes thread1, thread2

in your main thread, when it exits both threads will start getting time slices.
You just need to use semaphores (or other techniques) to tell threads when to
stop.

Rosco is correct.  The standard NXT firmware uses a completely different
execution model than the old RCX firmware uses.  The NXT firmware does not
provide any mechanism at all for starting and stopping threads.  The only
mechanism is to define thread interactions via precedes and follows.  The NXT-G
language defines thread interactions graphically by connecting blocks together
with sequence beams.  In NBC you need to define the interactions of threads
declaratively.

John Hansen