 Robotics / 26692
Re: Drive types
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 12:15:18 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Kevin L. Clague wrote:

In lugnet.robotics, Jonathan Knudsen wrote:

...wondering if anyone has successfully built a
car-type robot.

Yes; besides the ones I've personally seen, there are a bunch of them listed on
NXTlog. It seems that style of robot is fairly popular.

The NXT kit does not include a differential

No it doesn't. One solution that works pretty well is just not to use one. Drive
both reaer wheels on a single axle, and accept that there will be some slide or
skid in the system. Another option is to use a differential, either grabbing a
"normal" one from elsewhere, or like this:

http://nxtasy.org/2006/08/15/differential/

And Kevin's suggestion of compensating for the different raduis of the turn in
the SW is a good one as well. Plenty of options, some brand-new with the NXT.

I miss the tank treads from RIS.

Well, tank treads are still around... but if you want to use those motor
encoders to their full extent, you probably don't want the contact point with
the ground to slip (a neccessity with treads).

I'm looking for a lightweight programming
alternative for OS X, something like NQC.

Right now, there's not a lot. I think John Hansen is working hard (OK, I *know*
that part) on supporting OSX with an NQC-like language, but I'm not sure what
state it's in yet. There is another nice possibility coming along here:

http://forums.nxtasy.org/index.php?showtopic=719

Again, depending on NBC and the standard FW. Beyond that, there are plans to
move RobotC onto the Mac, and Lua from Ralph Hempel, but they're not there...
yet.

Kevin also wrote:

% in general, I don't find three or more
% wheels interesting.

Kevin, I thought in general, locked wheels were just a way for your walkers to
get a firm grip on the ground? ;-).

--
Brian Davis