 Robotics / 26698
Re: Drive types
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 17:05:39 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Tim Rueger wrote:
On Jan 8, 2007, at 2:29 PM, John Hansen wrote:

In lugnet.robotics, Jonathan Knudsen wrote:
Also, I'm looking for a lightweight programming alternative for OS X,
something like NQC. Any suggestions? I've done a little digging but
come back empty-handed.

NXC is something like NQC and it is available for Windows, Mac OS X,
and Linux
platforms.  While NXC is not yet complete, it is very functional with
a large
API for the NXT.

Not eXactly C (NXC) is currently available in the form of NBC beta 20.
If you
download the latest NBC beta and the latest test release of BricxCC
then you can
easily write programs in NXC and compile and download them to your NXT
brick.
On a non-Windows platform you currently need an external tool to
download
compiled executables to the NXT.

Ok, I'll bite: which external tools work well on OS X and Linux?

Thanks,
-Tim

linxt -  http://sourceforge.net/projects/linxt/

NXTBrowser -
http://web.mac.com/carstenm/iWeb/Lego/NXT/F2F73940-D837-4038-9011-2968725A2872.html

There are others that I have heard about but can't find links for (or recall the
names of) at the moment.

My nexttool utility runs on Mac OSX and on Linux and it can do all kinds of cool
things but it is built on top of libusb and it doesn't support bluetooth yet.
And for reasons that I haven't had time to figure out yet it is a bit flakey
still.  And if you build NBC on a Linux or Mac OSX box with CAN_DOWNLOAD defined
then NBC will also have a dependency on libusb and it will be able to
communicate with the NXT as well as nexttool currently does (i.e., not perfectly
yet).

Anyone who wants to help me sort out libusb issues on Mac OSX and Linux
platforms please drop me an email.

John Hansen