 Robotics / 26024
Re: Problem with RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2006 14:37:20 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Louis Davis wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Robert G Fay wrote:
"steve" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
news:44792D84.80803@airmail.net...
If all else fails, I'd pull the RCX completely apart (it's not hard
to do - and there are instructions out on the web someplace) - see
if there is any more gunk to clean out and look for any foreign
bodies rattling around in there.

http://www.ozbricks.com/bobfay/rcx.htm

Thanks to everyone on the thread for your advice. I did open up the RCX and did
not find any more battery gunk.  Everything looked okay, no obvious signs of
damage.  Since this is a newer unit, the battery tabs are soldered to the board.
If I place a meter on the + and - terminals, it shows a short.  If I place a
meter on the output of the voltage regulator and - terminal it shows open. So I
believe the problem is downstream from the voltage regulator.  The large 1000uf
Cap looks fine, no bulging or leaking. I don't think there is a way to test
in-circuit.  Anyway, I will call Lego on Tuesday and see what they say.

Thanks again,
Louis Davis

PS - I will post back to the list with the results.

I wanted to let everyone know that I was able to fix my RCX and tell you what
was wrong with it.  There was a bridge between the positive terminal pad and a
very thin portion of the ground plane along the outer edge of the PCB.
Apparently the solder mask was a little compromised in that area and it made
contact with the solder on the pad for the positive terminal.  A friend of mine,
who is very good with electronics repair, was able to remove the terminal and
scrape away to thin portion of the ground plane.  This way there is no chance
for the positive terminal tab to come in contact with the ground plane.  It
works like a champ now.

Louis Davis