 Robotics / 26012
Re: Problem with RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 28 May 2006 04:56:36 GMT

Benton Jackson wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Louis Davis wrote:

I have a 2.0 RCX that is only about 6 months old.  I had just put a new set of
batteries in it the other day and it was working fine.  I had not used it for
about a week and then tried it out and it was completely dead.  I opened up the
battery box and noticed that the batteries had leaked inside the box.\

The dead short could have caused the batteries to leak. That's probably the only
way to get batteries to leak in only a week.

I agree - and furthermore, whilst a dead short might well cause a
battery leak (when the batteries get hot, the contents can expand and
rupture the cell) - it's kinda unusual for a battery leak to cause a
dead short - the corrosive gunk inside can eat away at thin copper
tracks - which might cause an open circuit - but the stuff isn't
conductive (or batteries would just short out internally!) - so it's
hard to see how they could cause a short in the RCX.

So - I'd call up Lego customer service - if you are nice to them,
they've been pretty good with some of us over replacing stuff that's
broken - sometimes LONG after warranty has expired.  You don't have
much to lose at this point.

If all else fails, I'd pull the RCX completely apart (it's not hard
to do - and there are instructions out on the web someplace) - see
if there is any more gunk to clean out and look for any foreign
bodies rattling around in there.