 Robotics / 26011
Re: Problem with RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 28 May 2006 01:46:27 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Louis Davis wrote:
I have a 2.0 RCX that is only about 6 months old.  I had just put a new set of
batteries in it the other day and it was working fine.  I had not used it for
about a week and then tried it out and it was completely dead.  I opened up the
battery box and noticed that the batteries had leaked inside the box.  These
were brand new energizers, right out of the package.  I cleaned out battery
compartment and cleaned all the contacts and inserted a new set of batteries.
Tried to turn on the RCX and nothing happened.  I then felt the batteries and
they were getting extremely hot.  I removed them immediately.  I made very sure
that I had inserted them correctly.  Does anyone have any idea what is going on
with my RCX?  I have not done anything to it since I got it.  I have not dropped
it or mishandled it in any way.  Like I said earlier, it was working fine about
a week ago and then it sat for a week.  Sometime between then and now the
batteries leaked, somehow this caused permanent damage to the unit.  It appears
there is a dead short now, because as soon as I insert the batteries, they get
extremely hot.

Thanks for any insight into this.  Does you think I would be able to get
warranty coverage in this unit since it is only about six months old?

Louis

The dead short could have caused the batteries to leak. That's probably the only
way to get batteries to leak in only a week.