 Robotics / 26023
26022  |  26024
Subject:
a gbc module
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2006 04:01:44 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Photos of a foosball table GBC module.

A deep link showing the table, with 6 balls in play:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rafeman/gbc/dvc00107.jpg
The balls come in from the top of the picture (side of the table) and
exit at the goals.  By speeding up or slowing down the rotation rate, I
can let balls collect on the field (slow spinning) or whisk them out
soon after arrival (fast spinning).  For what it is worth, I believe,
although I cannot prove it because I only own about 50 Lego soccer and
basketballs, that the table could hold a large number (approximately
100?), so as to act as a reservoir in a larger system.

Sometimes the balls will sit in a dead spot for a while before they get
knocked around by another ball and move along on their way.  The slower
the spinning, the greater the higher the values in the distribution of
time-to-exit.

I haven't yet incorporated a score-keeping system but I do have one of
those old-fashioned RCXs lying around doing nothing...

My version has 6 players per team.  There is a grey/black, angry-looking
team and a blue/white/red/yellow, happy-looking team.

I had to make the legs floppy so that the players couldn't trap the ball
against the ground.  The legs make a rhythmic clickity-clack sound that
varies, of course, with the speed of rotation.

A closeup of the three happy team mid-fielders:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rafeman/gbc/dvc00105.jpg

The two angry team attackers:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rafeman/gbc/dvc00106.jpg

Another shot of the table, with parts of my gbc in the background:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rafeman/gbc/dvc00104.jpg

A movie of my entire current gbc set-up, including the conveyor belt,
Archimedian screw, stochastic animal maze, and foosball table) is available:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rafeman/gbc/movie.wmv

The movie is 1:46 and is approximately 26MB, so download at your own
risk!  (If someone can tell me wiser ways to do this sort of thing,
please contact me offline; thank you.)  The foosball table component can
be seen toward the end.  In the movie, the players on the foosball table
are spinning 'fast'.

When moderated, the url to this folder should be

Ok, that's that.
Rafe