 Robotics / 26022
26021  |  26023
Subject:
Camera vs. ROBOLAB, Round 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2006 23:29:41 GMT

So here I was, minding my own business and enjoying the last day of my first
week of summer vacation, when suddenly an idea popped into my head. This idea
was to use my Vision Command camera in conjunction with ROBOLAB 2.5.4, because I
had seen numerous camera-related functions over the last year I've used ROBOLAB,
and I wanted to see if I could make a robot work with the camera better than
Vision Command can...So, I plug in my camera, wait for the drivers to load up
again (haven't plugged it in in about 4 months, and XP doesn't keep drivers in
memory that long...), and launched ROBOLAB. I went into a new file and opened
the "Project" menu, and clicked on "Select Camera..." because it semed logical.
I waited a while while the software debated whether or not to show me the dialog
box, and finally did. I clicked on the little "X"-box next to the check mark
button after selecting my camera. This box popped up another button (similar to
the function of the box in the "Select COM Port..." dialog box, where that one
gives you a "Test Communications" button) which was titled something like Camera
Setup. I clicked it. After a while (my computer's slow...), a window comes up
with myriad controls for the camera. I fiddle with them until I get a good,
solid, quality picture in both preview windows, and then I click a button
similar to an OK button (can't remember what it was, but it saved the settings
and closed the window). That was the easy, working part. Now comes the annoying
part. I open the "Project" menu again, and select the "Vision Center..." option.
A very pretty window comes up (Y'know, like the other ROBOLAB system *.vi's,
like the quit dialog.) with various options to run the camera as a sensor, which
I want to do. However, in the video preview screen, there is a stylized picture
of...static. I go into the sensor setup from this window, and...static. I play
for another half hour, every possible combination of commands. I even rebooted a
few times, and quit all my other applications, and...static. The current state
of affairs is that the camera is unplugged, ROBOLAB is closed, and I'm posting
this whole big story out here to see if anyone has an idea on how to make this
work. I ask for two reasons: first, I really want my camera to work with
ROBOLAB, because I really don't like Vision Command; and second, I _know_ that
it should work, because LabView works really well with cameras, as experienced
this and last year with the FRC cameras...

So, does anyone know how to resolve this issue? TIA for the help.

Andrew Meyer