 Robotics / 25882
Re: NXT memory limits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2006 14:04:23 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, John Hansen wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Tim Byrne wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
There is already software available for converting .wav files. (thanks MDPs)  Of
course, they can't be too big.

I understand the size constraints for storing long sound files on the NXT, but
has anyone tried streaming sound over Bluetooth?

What do you mean?  It is possible to transfer files between a PC and the NXT
over bluetooth so you can "stream" a .RSO file but doing so at 64 bytes per
packet would be rather cumbersome.  And playing the file on the NXT could not
begin until the entire file was received.

John Hansen

Having no knowledge of the NXT, I'm not sure what a .RSO file is.  (a quick
Google search of .RSO and sound takes me to the Raleigh Symphony Orchestra, and
that seems way off LOL )  However, let me give an example of technology I am
aware of.  You can have Bluetooth headphones paired with a Bluetooth laptop, and
it can stream hours of music to the headphones when the headphones themselves
have no way of even storing a sizeable amount of data.

I imagine the way it could possibly work on NXT would be while a program that
downloads sound data over BT, it plays the buffered data, and deletes it once
it's played.  Do you understand what I mean by streaming?

Again, I'm not familiar with the way NXT handles sound (perhaps I should delve
into details of NBC, but I find it kinda tough to do that without something
hands on).  But if the NXT needs a complete file in order to play it, perhaps
some PC software could be created to chop the stream into multiple .RSO? files
and the NXT could download them and play them in sequence.

Can the NXT do multi-threaded things like that?  Download data, while another
thread is playing some already buffered data?