 Robotics / 2570
Re: Using a standard remote control with the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 18:57:56 GMT

=>From: Eric Eilebrecht <ericeil@microsoft.com>
=>...
=>Has anyone gotten a "learning" remote control to work with the RCX?
=>[...]
=>
=>There are, of course, several things that could be going wrong here.  The
=>remote could be broken (but it works fine with my TV, VCR, etc).  The RCX
=>programs I wrote could be wrong (but they are *very* simple).  The crappy
=>Lego software could be generating bad code (when in doubt, blame the
=>compiler. :).  Or maybe I'm just trying to do something that won't work.

The string of bytes that the tower sends to transmit the message "1"
is fairly long (a "wakeup" sequence, the data and complemented data,
and checksum/~checksum).  Perhaps the remote control can't learn
sequences that long?

You could cannibalize one of the TalkRCX programs people have written
to see what the remote is transmitting.  That'd be my next step.

d.