 Robotics / 2568
2567  |  2569
Subject:
Using a standard remote control with the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 18:43:52 GMT

Has anyone gotten a "learning" remote control to work with the RCX?  I'm
refering to the type of remote that is capable of learning commands from
existing remotes.  I recently purchased on of these from Radio Shack, and
tried to teach it to send IR messages to the RCX - but have not been able to
work.

I started by creating a simple program (using the standard Lego Mindstorms
programming environment) that just sends message "1."  I then put the remote
in learning mode, pointed it at the RCX, and started my program.  The remote
has a little light that flashes when it has successfully learned a command,
and the light flashed, so I guess that part worked.

Next, I wrote a second program that just beeps when it receives message "1."
I ran that program, and pointed the remote at the RCX, and hit the button I
had assigned the message to.  Nothing happened.

There are, of course, several things that could be going wrong here.  The
remote could be broken (but it works fine with my TV, VCR, etc).  The RCX
programs I wrote could be wrong (but they are *very* simple).  The crappy
Lego software could be generating bad code (when in doubt, blame the
compiler. :).  Or maybe I'm just trying to do something that won't work.

Anyone have any ideas?

Eric