 Robotics / 25420
Re: Why java is bad for Mindstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 22 Jan 2006 21:04:16 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Michael Obenland wrote:
And some of us hacked the brick, some of us wrote new operating systems,
adapted programming languages and made the brick shine. But the normal
customer was helpless at this point. He was able to build the hardware
for the legway, lets say. But he was not able to compile the program to
run the legway. Installing Linux? Or Cygwin? Gnu toolchain? brickos?
Compiling a kernel? Forget it. The comunity of mindstorms users divided
into those who hacked and those, who admired but got frustrated at some
point because they could watch some cool videos on some hompages but
where not able to create the same model at home.

As of early 2003 (and even going back to 2002) BricxCC had extensive support for
compiling and downloading brickOS programs.  Exactly when in 2003 I first
released my installers for brickOS and cygwin I don't recall but they made using
brickOS as easy as using NQC.  The same goes for leJOS and Java.

What I want to say is, that it would be fun to run java on the nxt - for
the comunity of hackers (or programmers or whizkids, you know what i
mean). But for the community of all users, it would be better to gain
useful profit from the hacker knowledge in a way all users can follow
and use.

It could be argued, persuasively, since there is already an existing environment
for programming LEGO bricks which provides easy access to all the power a user
could ever need that using that already familiar environment and its associated
languages with the new brick would be a much simpler and easier path of
progression than moving from languages like NQC or MindScript or LASM or RIS or
Robolab to a completely different and foreign new language like what will be
shipping with the NXT.  Advocating using the stock environment simply because it
is stock makes zero sense to me.  If it is harder to learn, less feature rich,
and less powerful then it should not be used, regardless of its official
sanction by LEGO.

John Hansen