 Robotics / 2530
Re: 3 sensors = 8 inputs?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 01:16:47 GMT

Mark,
  It has been figured out how to get four touch sensors per input. This gives 12
touch sensors if all three inputs are used.
  Using this approach, a 16 channel Analog MUX can be hooked up. Sensing the four
switch lines using Port A and the Output of the MUX on Port B. This can be expanded
even more by using a 64 Channel MUX. Using Port A & B to sense the 8  lines and the
Output of the MUX on Port C.
  Since this is a Analog MUX, any combination of touch, temp,light, or rotational
sensors can be used. Using the current MindStorm Firmware, a 64 Channel would be
overkill, since you only have 32 varibles to store the sensor info as the task
scans the MUX.

John Donaldson

Mark Crosbie wrote:

To further the thread on the limitations of having only 3 input sensors:

One of the first things that occurred to me was that three inputs gives you 3
bits of input, which means up to 8 sensors. Depending on which sensors
trigger, you convert that to a binary number which leads you to the "logical"
sensor number.

0 indicates not pressed, 1 indicates pressed.

Input Value     Logical Sensor          Physical Sensor
A B C
0 0 0           0                       front bumper
0 0 1           1                       rear bumper
0 1 0           2                       left side bumper
0 1 1           3                       right side bumper

Now, the tricky part is how to build a Lego creation so that different physical
sensors (bumpers, touch switches etc) get mapped to one of these 8 logical
sensor values.

You would need some lever arrangement whereby a bumper triggering could cause
the correct sensor combination to be pressed. It might be easy to do if you
have 4 bumper sensors around the edge of the vehicle. A series of axles and
appropriately positioned levers translate a bumper movement into one of 4
sensor combinations.

Just some thoughts. If I can build it I will post a message...

Mark.
--
Mark Crosbie                    http://www.best.com/~mcrosbie
Hewlett-Packard MS 47 LA        mcrosbie@cup.hp.com