 Robotics / 2531
Re: IR Transmission Range when bounced off of Ceiling...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 01:49:24 GMT

I have another solution to the IR -RCX range problem if you don't mind running a
few wires. When I ran the Stage Crew organization at my local High School, I had
a remotely controlled Tilt-pan head for an 8mm video camera suspended over the
audience. Only problem was how to get it to zoom in and out.

    Solution, the IR post and one of the receivers from an old VCR tape
carraige. (It detects the end of tape). I taped the sensor to the remote control
face and ran two wires out to the camera and taped on the IR emitter. I hit the
button and the sensor transferred the signal out to the camera. The power was a
9 volt wall plug and a current limiting resistor all in series. Note polarity
for the IR emitter diode. Now I suppose you could put MANY (Like 5 or more) IR
emitters around the RCX 'playground' and it will never be out of range no matter
what direction it is facing.

BTW, if you have a newer video camera, look at the IR diode in the tower or any
remote control and you can SEE it flash through the viewfinder or even make a
tape of it!

David Chen wrote:

Someone may have tried this experiment already, but I figured I'd give it a
shot and post the results.

The setup:      IR Tower pointed straight up at a White Stucco'ed
                Ceiling from 8" above ground level (at sensor front).

                Used RcxCC's "Watching the RCX" control panel w/ it's
                Autopoll feature at 1 sec Freq turned onto light sensor
                and all 4 timers.

                RCX set on ground w/ IR ports pointing straight up.
                Moved RCX away from IR tower until loss of signal.

                White Stucco ceiling (you know, the rough surface)
                Height approx 12 feet.

Results:        Maximum reliable range for reception was approx 20 feet
                as measured from RCX to Tower on ground.

Seems to me this would be pretty good for most any robot that only has to
wander around a single room.  A reasonable substitute for Cybermaster's RF
Xmitt capabilities.  Now I can build that free roaming robot w/ a neural net
brain that resides on my PC!