 Robotics / 2520
2519  |  2521
Subject:
IR Transmission Range when bounced off of Ceiling...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 23:18:23 GMT

Someone may have tried this experiment already, but I figured I'd give it a
shot and post the results.

The setup: IR Tower pointed straight up at a White Stucco'ed
Ceiling from 8" above ground level (at sensor front).

Used RcxCC's "Watching the RCX" control panel w/ it's
Autopoll feature at 1 sec Freq turned onto light sensor
and all 4 timers.

RCX set on ground w/ IR ports pointing straight up.
Moved RCX away from IR tower until loss of signal.

White Stucco ceiling (you know, the rough surface)
Height approx 12 feet.

Results: Maximum reliable range for reception was approx 20 feet
as measured from RCX to Tower on ground.

Seems to me this would be pretty good for most any robot that only has to
wander around a single room.  A reasonable substitute for Cybermaster's RF
Xmitt capabilities.  Now I can build that free roaming robot w/ a neural net
brain that resides on my PC!

Anyone else arrive at better or worse ranges?

Dave Chen
dcchen@pacbell.net