 Robotics / 25149
Re: NXT - ARM7's and USB
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:53:31 GMT

Hi Alexander,

"pisymbol" <pisymbol@gmail.com> writes:
In lugnet.robotics, Kevin L. Clague wrote:

What I don\222t quite understand is what the NXT looks
like as a target device within the USB bus?

I suspect it will have a bidirectional stream of data,
like the serial or USB towers of the current system.

In other words, the NXT itself is not a USB device

It sure is.

I\222m wonder if the NXT can act as a target serial device that you can send
commands to via USB (though I think the bluetooth capabilities have more
potential).

I also suspect bluetooth will communicate in the same way.
Of course, I could be completely wrong :-)

The reason why NXT is a slave, not a host are IMHO

- A proper host port has to provide power
  (at the very least 5V/100mA to supply a single USB device)

- A host requires extra driver software

- The NXT doesn't need it and has to be cheap

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <juergen@jstuber.net>
http://www.jstuber.net/