 Robotics / 24978
Re: NXT - ARM7's and USB
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 22:03:53 GMT

Michael Zapp wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Chris Magno wrote:

Im not a chip guru, can someone explain why the lego speck says the USB
is input only? The PDF's for the ARM7 chip set(s) this could be, state
the on board USB controller is bidirectional.

questions, questions, questions.....

Hopefully an answer (I don't have 3...).

The actual micro doesn't have the full hardware needed to implement
communications. You still need to include transceiver/receiver hardware that
acts as the bridge between the cable and the micro. Lego probably skipped the
transceiver to cut costs.
or does Lego mean:
- the USB controler can transport data bidirectional (how can it
otherwise check the transmitted data)
     and
- the USB controler is a Slave (can only be connected to a USB-Master,
in general something big as a PC)

Stef

Michael