 Robotics / 24968
  NXT - ARM7's and USB

Im not a chip guru, can someone explain why the lego speck says the USB is input only? The PDF's for the ARM7 chip set(s) this could be, state the on board USB controller is bidirectional. questions, questions, questions..... Chris (18 years ago, 8-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NXT - ARM7's and USB

(...) Hopefully an answer (I don't have 3...). The actual micro doesn't have the full hardware needed to implement communications. You still need to include transceiver/receiver hardware that acts as the bridge between the cable and the micro. Lego (...) (18 years ago, 8-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NXT - ARM7's and USB

(...) Chris, I know little about USB, but USB communication is not peer to peer like an ethernet port. You have masters and slaves, or hosts and devices. Whether you are host or device, you still need to be able to communicate bidirectionally. If (...) (18 years ago, 8-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NXT - ARM7's and USB

(...) or does Lego mean: - the USB controler can transport data bidirectional (how can it otherwise check the transmitted data) and - the USB controler is a Slave (can only be connected to a USB-Master, in general something big as a PC) Stef (...) (18 years ago, 8-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NXT - ARM7's and USB

In lugnet.robotics, Kevin L. Clague wrote: Your on the right track but your terminology is a little off. USB like many of the next generation protocols is indeed point-to-point. However, the problem is at the protocol level (as you start to point (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Re: NXT - ARM7's and USB

(...) You mean, found your beloved lugnet through google, right? :P (18 years ago, 9-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NXT - ARM7's and USB

Hi Alexander, (...) I suspect it will have a bidirectional stream of data, like the serial or USB towers of the current system. (...) It sure is. (...) I also suspect bluetooth will communicate in the same way. Of course, I could be completely wrong (...) (18 years ago, 12-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NXT - ARM7's and USB

(...) No not really, but I'm playing semantics. What I'm really getting at is what class of devices will the USB part of the NXT look like? I suspect a serial device for a host to talk to. It all depends on the class codes of the interface/endpoint (...) (18 years ago, 13-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NXT - ARM7's and USB

(...) Yes, I also expect that. Another hypothetical option for sensors/motors might be HID, you can refer to physical properties there. Maybe some firmware upload protocol. So maybe you are right and it contains several USB devices with an internal (...) (18 years ago, 13-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)