 Robotics / 24923
Re: new Mindstorms servos?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 20:08:24 GMT

Matthew Ruschmann wrote:
Does anyone have any images or information about the upcoming servos?  How
big are they, what do they look like, what's their torque and speed?

http://cache.lego.com/upload/contentTemplating/LEGOAboutUs-PressReleases/images/2057/picAA00C400-D0CE-4118-8762-82A18499E875.jpg
Warning: Huge image!

Judging by that picture and others, a motor is about half the size of the NXT
brick (which is claimed to be about the size of the RCX).  Who knows about
torque and all.  I am guessing the characteristics are about the same as
previous motors.  Technology hasn't improved much and the NXT has the same about
of power as the RCX.  Therefore, we are probably dealing with pretty much
similar motors.

Dunno - I think it's *WAY* different.

It's almost as if it were DESIGNED for making the robots that are in all
the photos.  It looks quite inconvenient for building wheeled or tracked
vehicles because of how the drive shaft exits at right angles to the
motor's largest dimension.

For a kick-off, if it's going to drive the arm of that "RoboArm"
without any additional gearing, I imagine it's going to be slow but to
pack a lot of torque.  That would be pretty typical of a 'servo' motor.

http://cache.lego.com/upload/contentTemplating/LEGOAboutUs-ImageLibrary/images/2057/pic3988E24D-ED33-426A-B2A7-D4F294A24AF9.jpg

Try using an RCX-generation motor for a robot arm without gearing! It's
both too fast and lacking in torque.  So if the models shown in the
photos are real and work, the new motor is likely (IMHO) to be slower
but more low geared.  Sometimes that's an advantage - sometimes it's
a liability.

The 'RoboArm' picture makes it look like the motor is around 6x6x10
studs long...that's *HUGE* compared to the 4x4x4 stud RCX motors we
have now.  But in applications where you'd need to gear-down an RCX
motor and add a rotation sensor, the new motor seems like it would be
a good deal.

Another insteresting detail on the RoboArm picture is that the
builder placed a handle on one side of the motor down on the
base of the robot.  I wonder if the intention is to use the
rotation sensor in the motor to sense the winding of that handle?

That would suggest that the ONLY rotation sensor would be the one
in the motor.  I sure hope *THAT* isn't true.

However, there is a lot of time between now and August - so only time
will tell.