 Robotics / 24730
24729  |  24731
Subject:
Lego "style" wire and electrical connectors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2005 03:10:21 GMT

Hello,

I have periodically scoured lugnet for information on this topic and results
have been limited.

Q1.  Can anyone point me to a source of wire that looks as close as possible to
the wire that lego uses.  I prefer the more flexible variant (multistrand?).  I
have tried to look through some online electronics sources, but I don't know
enough about wire specs and nomencalture to find what I need.  It must be out
there, right?

Q2. What is the best way to make a lego compatible connector?  Seems to me one
could maybe use small screws the size of studs or something...

Q3. What would be a good alternative connector that I might use?  I would splice
this onto the wire end of a chopped-in-half lego wire.  lego connector on one
end  and other electrical connector on the other.  Then I could have varying
lengths of wire with the alternate connectors.  Is phone wire useable?--(I know
it won't look like lego wire)... phone wire had modular ends readily available
and cheap and I think the strandard is two pair of wires..  is the power of an
RCX too much for phone wire?

Q4.  I've been googling around and so forth not much luck just yet.  I'd like to
build a lego christmas village and "light" it.  Non-lego lighting would be a
lot cheaper.  Ideally I would like a string of lights.. perhaps clusters of LEDS
yellow or white... between 12 and 20 clusters maybe 12 inches between clusters.
I heistate to put even normal mini lights in side lego houses over concern of
the heat.

any tips are greatly appreciated.

-Thanks

Ken