 Robotics / 24716
Re: How much weight can a LEGO chassis carry around?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 23:05:04 GMT

Joe Strout wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Nathan Colyer <ncoly1@eq.edu.au> wrote:

It might work to make a robot that tows the laptop on a trailer setup?

I don't see how that solves any problems.

Ah, sort of the 18-wheeler approach to carrying heavy loads.  That's not a bad
idea; certainly it solves the axle-support and skid-steering problems.

How?  The trailer still has to have a bunch of axles in order to spread
the weight - and when you do that, the trailer is (in effect)
skid-steering.

But it
makes the steering code a much harder problem, doesn't it?  I can imagine my
poor bot getting stuck in a dead-end hallway, having a hard time turning itself
around.

That's the cool thing about using a synchro platform - the robot can
drive in any direction it wants without turning around (in fact, it
*can't* turn around).  But it is the ultimate in manouverability.