 Robotics / 24702
24701  |  24703
Subject:
How much weight can a LEGO chassis carry around?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 23:30:18 GMT

I’ve recently gotten my hands on a Pololu motor controller which I can control from my Macintosh (see my tutorial if you’re curious). This has me dreaming of mounting my laptop on a mobile base; with a web cam, speech synthesis, big graphical display, speech recognition (in quiet environments), etc., I get a lot of robot goodness very quickly that way.

So now I’m wondering whether it’d be at all feasible to build the chassis out of LEGO. The laptop weighs 5 or 6 pounds. I don’t need it to move around in a particularly speedy manner, but faster than a turtle would be nice. I can use multiple motor controllers to drive more than 2 motors on a side, if that helps.

Does this sound doable, or am I wasting my time? If borderline, do you have any building tips to make it more likely to work?

Thanks,
– Joe