 Robotics / 24705
Re: How much weight can a LEGO chassis carry around?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 03:12:44 GMT

Joe Strout wrote:

So now I'm wondering whether it'd be at all feasible to build the chassis out of
LEGO.  The laptop weighs 5 or 6 pounds.  I don't need it to move around in a
particularly speedy manner, but faster than a turtle would be nice.  I can use
multiple motor controllers to drive more than 2 motors on a side, if that helps.

Well, you can build enormous and very strong structures out of Lego -
there are people who've built life-sized dinosaurs and such.  With
enough Lego and careful construction, I have no doubt you could build
something that would carry 50 or 60 pounds.

Actually driving it along at any significant speed might need more than
2 motors, but that too is do-able if you have enough parts.

I don't think you'd have much difficulty moving 6 pounds over smooth,
level flooring with even the simplest construction.