 Robotics / 24466
Re: $60 for RCX 1.0 and Serial Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 01:58:52 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Juergen Stuber wrote:
"Chio Siong Soh" <robodoc@fifth-r.com> writes:

RCX 1.0 minus socket (came in RIS 1.5 set)

you can still get those from LEGO Dacta, either separately
or as part of some Dacta sets (but they ain't cheap).

Oh, oh! You do mean RCX 1.0 with socket for AC adapter don't you?

Yes, the LEGO Mindstorms for Schools sets come with RCX 1.0 with the AC adapter
socket (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/9709).

Many of the school projects are stationary robots and often require the RCX to
be kept on for long hours like monitoring how many times the refrigerator door
has been opened over a period of 24 hours.

I am not sure why in the retail Mindstorms RIS 2.0 set, the AC adapter socket
has been done away with.

Could be a matter of safety as it involves connecting to an electrical outlet.
The retail Mindstorms RIS 2.0 set is meant for individual use with little or no
supervision. Whereas in schools, the children would be more closely supervised.

CSSoh