 Robotics / 24334
Re: Barcodes & error detection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:21:09 GMT

"Brian Davis" <brdavis@iusb.edu> wrote in message
news:IMI0IC.z2M@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.robotics, Philippe Hurbain wrote:

Error correction is good, but no error
is probably better...

  Absolutely, but in any real world application there is almost always
some
error rate.

I'm just curious, but how much development did you do making the area where
the light sensors themselves are mounted as black and light-proofed as
possible to make sure you didn't get a problem from stray lightsources
interfering?  If it's only happening on every 16th trip, maybe there's an
intermittent light source that is tripping it up somewhere or perhaps
occasional movements of parts flick a spot of light in at the wrong time.

It would in any case be interesting to see just how much light variation it
can handle on it's own and still read accurately.  If you have some fairly
clear close-up photos of the sensor and lighting assembly, perhaps you could
post them somewhere.

Have you thought about making some track correction routines that can use
the light readings so as to correct it's own errors while driving around -
I'd have thought that any programmable bot ought to be able to spot when an
error is coming up to unacceptable tolerances and try a course correction
routine to negate or minimise the error.  In fact most good line follower
bots should be able to navigate any strip and be accurate all the time, as
it's mostly a matter of making sure it's properly detecting light vs dark
areas.